Friday 31 July 2015

Book Review | The Charismatics by Ashley R Carlson


I first learned about this book through twitter. I was following someone who mentioned Ashley and that she was writing, so me being a novice writer myself decided to give her a follow. Then I found out she was publishing her first novel, read her post on Better Novel Project and then decided while I was on holiday I would read it. Not only to support someone I follow on twitter but because the blurb makes it sound like THE best story ever. 


Blurb: I can't shake this feeling that I've been lied to, nor that I'm partly to blame. I've spent my life following orders, never questioning Legalia's decisions for me, for the world. I had food, shelter, better living conditions than most-why rock the boat? Because you can choose between doing what is comfortable, or doing what is right, answers the small voice within me. I was afraid of that. 

An arranged marriage. A corrupt government called Legalia. A forbidden spiritual realm. 

Duchess Ambrose Killaher was just seventeen years old when exiled to Shinery-a city of snow and darkness-to marry a man who despised her, finding her only solace in an invisible companion named Roan. Now as the poor starve in the streets below and rebellious acts become a frequent occurrence, Shinery holds its yearly celebration to commemorate Legalia’s rule. But when Ambrose stumbles into a hidden courtroom and witnesses a violent murder, she is thrust into a secret world of the supernatural-one that could endanger everyone she's grown to care for. With the help of a handsome stranger, Ambrose learns of the past Legalia has covered up, and that she alone possesses the power to stop their unspeakable plans for the future. 


Review: This book is probably the only 'Steampunk' genre novel I have ever read and I absolutely loved it. I took this book away with me while I was on holiday and read it while on my sunday - in a day. I just couldn't put it down. 


The main character Ambrose, starts off in a difficult predicament as she's been exiled, and her husband who she was arranged to marry despises her. She has an invisible friend who no one else can see and when she is nearly caught talking to him everything changes. She ends up being saved by a young man after being mobbed and its clear there are some feelings of more than gratitude there. 


She's then, in my opinion, followed, watched and threatened in every way and still comes out strong. She learns more about her unique ability and the ending had me wanting more from the second I finished the book. 


It's an easy read and with many twists and turns that captivate and enthrall the reader. I would definitely recommend if you want something new to add to your collection and you've not read this type of genre before. 


Rating: 5/5 Stars

Comment: Worth every word written.
Links: Amazon UK Kindle | Goodreads | Twitter
Note: Image and Blurb from goodreads.com 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Made By pipdig