Friday 24 October 2014

Not Your Usual Blog Post


Usually I am not one for slandering other writers but I believe Chloe Hamilton's most recent post to be completely unethical compared to her other work. I realise she has a job to do along with her own opinions but, in my opinion, writing things that be little someone’s success when they have worked hard to achieve their dreams is wrong. I’m all for an opinionated post now and then but to criticize Zoe about her beauty advice is ridiculous. I mean, would you slander Jennifer Lawrence for stating that she’ll never stop eating or diet down to get an acting role? Would you say that was her telling girls to be fat? No. You wouldn’t. So why do it to someone just because they’re on YouTube talking about make up?

When I awoke on the 22nd of October I was met with some retweeted tweets about this girl who had written an article discussing Zoe Sugg, or as you may know her Zoella. A lot of people were not happy about what she had said This, and my curious nature, led me to investigate what this nonsense was about which led me to her article that she had written about Zoe

After reading this article I was slightly outraged. Not at that fact she had done an article about Zoe - I'm sure there are loads of people who have, good or bad - and not because I am a fan of Zoe but because of the way she criticised her career. 

Zoella is a YouTube star who teaches hair and beauty on the internet, and insists that sometimes you should go make up free along with not worry too much about how you look - yet in the eyes of Chloe Hamilton, this is wrong. 

Also a little disclaimer - Before you criticise me for criticising her or criticise her yourself please read her article about Zoe, and some of her other ones, because while I believe what she has done in this article is slightly hypocritical some of her other articles are very good, some of them I even agree with.

After a few more hours of investigation I found numerous amounts of tweets about this article, good and bad, and I honestly think it's ridiculous. 

Chloe recently wrote an article titled What's It Like Being A Girl. In this article are the words "Put make up on if you want. One of the best things about being a girl is that you can hide blemishes with the latest cosmetics." Taken out of context from her article surely someone could argue that she herself is telling people to wear cosmetics to cover blemishes i.e. subconsciously telling people they'll look better with them covered up. Yet she has the audacity to tell Zoe off for doing the same thing... Uh hello? Take a look at your own writing?!


In many of Zoe’s daily vlogs she barely wears any make up (unless she is going out somewhere) showing her youthful blemished skin to the world, in one of her most recent vlogs she had stated that sometimes she doesn’t feel the need for make-up and that everyone should do it for at least one day. Zoe even went as far as creating a hashtag for it! #barefacedandwhat seems to have a lot of naked faces on there – still think she is telling young girls to wear make up to look pretty?

In fact here are a few of her many vlogs just to illustrate my point - Your Skin Doesn't Define YouBroken Freezer & Sleep Talking &The Crab Game & Cosy Night On The Sofa . Then there is this vlog - which I am so proud of her for posting - Sometimes It All Gets Too Much

Surely if Zoe thought you needed make-up to look pretty she would wear it more on camera in her daily vlogs? I mean she's not worn it in these three!

In my experience, make up was created to hide our hormonal breakouts and accentuate our features. Some women wear it because they like it, others wear it for hiding away red marks, spots and blemished skin. I do not know one person that wears make up for the SOLE purpose of “looking pretty”. I, myself, wear make up to even out my skin tone as I am plagued with red patches throughout the day and hormonal breakouts during that awful time of the month when Mother Nature strikes.  

Not once does Zoe’s videos suggest any girl, woman or man, should wear make up to be beautiful. I found Zoe’s channel because I wanted to learn the techniques of make-up application without the hefty price tag of lessons and products. This Zoe has achieved with her tutorials and different looks.

That's all I really have to say on this matter so I’d like to leave you with one last comment from Chloe, which I feel is slightly contradictory to her claims about Zoe - remember that although no two women are the same, we’re all equally marvellous. That we are Chloe, that we are.

Have you read the article? Let me know in the comments what your thoughts were!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Made By pipdig