Friday 17 April 2015

NaNoWriMo | My First Try



As mentioned in my Blogger Jealously post, I took part in NaNoWriMo last November. It was a last minute thing and no, I didn’t reach the 50,000 word mark. I was debating whether to write anything at all, whether to carry on with the book I started or start a complete new one and by the time I actually decided an entire week went by!

With one week gone I wasn’t sure I would make 50,000 or anything even close to it but I started anyway. I put a stop to my social life to attempt to write every evening because I work full time Monday to Friday. 


It started off going well, I managed to write around 2000-2500 words on days where I was at work and did nothing in the evenings which made up for the two nights I went to the gym and only wrote between 800-1000. In my first two days I wrote nearly 6000 which I felt was an achievement in itself.

I found it to be a real difficult experience for me and suffered quite a bit during my second week. I ended up deciding to write a completely new novel from scratch and I had lots of ideas in the bank. I also thought taking a break from my first one could be a real benefit for my mental health.

When my second week hit, most NaNoWrimers third, I just couldn’t get the words out. I didn’t know where my story was going or if I even thought it could be a story. At 28,000 words I was ready to give up. I spoke to a few friends around that time and took a couple of days off to just relax in bed watching TV.

While I wouldn’t recommend taking too long of a break like I did, breaks are necessary for your sanity. I was thinking about killing off all my characters and just ending it calling it a short story but taking a break really helped me calm my mind, stop stressing and along with encouragement from my friends I managed another 4000 words before I gave up completely. 

I just didn’t feel that I was able to write 18,000 words in 5 days and so I just stopped aiming for the 50,000 mark and just continued writing at a pace I was happy with. I tend to write between 500-1000 words every time I open up my document to write some more and my editorial side is firmly locked away because there is nothing available for me to edit. 

I am proud of myself for starting a completely new story and reaching 32,000 words in two weeks when my first novel is far from finished, I’ve been working on it on and off for a year and I am only at 56,000 words. Not that the word count on that one matters either! 

I find it easier to work without deadlines because then there is no need to stress myself out over anything and I can enjoy the story the way I want to rather than having it eat away at my mental health because I just NEED to get it written down. 

NaNo is definitely a good experience and a good way to get stories started but I think to be an author you need to be able to de-stress and release yourself from the worlds you create. I’ll definitely be using NaNo for the sole purpose of getting my stories started but I don’t feel like there is any need to reach the target work count any more.

Did you take part in NaNoWriMo this year? 
Let me know how you got on!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Made By pipdig