Wednesday 20 August 2014

Nostalgia | Dancing Days




Hi Everyone,

So today I’m writing a lifestyle/personal post again, sorry not sorry.

One of my good friends goes to a dance class on a Tuesday and while we have become closer and I hear all about it, it really does make me miss the days when I used to dance. Along with the likes of Step Up and Strictly my nostalgia has been growing quite a bit so I thought it was time to reminisce the good memories I have from dancing, share some pictures and convince myself that I need to stop being so lazy and go find a Zumba class – if you know of any in the Somerset area drop me a comment!

Rock and Roll - Probably Age 11
Don't Judge!



I started dancing at the age of three doing Latin American and Ballroom. I don’t remember much from my younger days except a little pink dress I would wear to competitions along with the small plastic awards you’d get for being in the final. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures from my younger days (3-10) so I can only attempt to describe to you what my costumes were like. My favourite one was my velvet green ball gown. It was a leotard which came down one side at a point, had skin colours arms and, as I did ballroom and Latin, I had a removable skirt for when I did my ballroom dances. I loved that dress/costume. I think my favourite dances back then were the Cha Cha Cha and the Quickstep.

I’ve gone through three dance teachers in my entire dancer career. I will only use their first initials as I am unable to contact then and ask if they mind being named. Originally I was with R and J at their dance school but unfortunately they broke up and split. As my mum was good friends with J we stayed with her. I was with her for the majority of my dance carrer until she met P and decided to leave teaching dance to become a mother. To which we then moved to another dance school taught by V which is where I spent the last four years of my dance scene and where most of my pictures are from.

Every year there are a few big competitions that last a weekend. The main one we went to was called Devon Cliffs. This, unfortunately, is also where my dance career came to an end. At sixteen my parents decided that I needed to get a job and start working, which I agreed with but it meant giving up dancing. 13 years is a long enough time to dance, the competitions are expensive, time consuming and amazingly awesome (ignore my grammar for now) but it was time to grow up. I know a lot of “Adult” dancers continue on with their dancing but with Christmas hours and a weekend job it seemed I would be unable to fit it in. thus I left. In university I joined the dance society and even got asked to help out with a few Ballroom and Latin classes but this also ended when I decided that university wasn’t for me.

But enough about me, and on to what you’re really here for – the pictures! Just don't laugh too hard at them *insert monkey face*


The last costume I ever got to wear, I still have this lurking around somewhere!


This was definitely my favourite costume. If it wasn't normal to get a new one every year I definitely would have never gutted rid of this!


That's all from me. Have you ever stopped something and missed it? Let me know!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Made By pipdig