Wednesday 18 March 2015

Hey It's Okay... To Run Out Of Ideas


I'm writing this while I am currently in the situation. I have no ideas, so I thought I'd ramble about having no ideas. About why thats okay and what to do in this situation. I am even finding this hard to write, I am having one of those kinds of days where nothing is floating around in my mind. 

Explaining what it feels like to have no ideas is like trying to explain what it's like to be in love. Both of those things leave you lost for words at a time when words would save everything. 

To begin with it probably feels like you're going insane. You have so much that you want to write but the words just aren't coming out. It's stressful and can make you crazy just thinking about coming up with ideas, then the words with which you need to build on that idea.

When I hit this nasty wall of writers block I tend to do two things before I actually take measures to overcome this obstacle. I freak out, and I whinge immensely to my friends. To which I am glad they are still around. 

After freaking out I do something monotonous like emptying the dishwasher or tidying my room, even folding my clothes. Something that doesn't require much brain power and allows the pressure to reduce enough the ideas can flow again.

Failing that, I go for a walk, a drive or even revert to googling the fragments that fly through my head. 

If that still doesn't work then you need to take a break. Stick on your favourite tv show and keep flitting back to your work, it'll come to you eventually but don't try to force it. 

Let me know what you do!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Made By pipdig