Thursday 5 February 2015

Book Review | Jackaby by William Ritter


This, I can safely say, is in my possession thanks to Jesse The Reader. He spoke about this book in one of his videos and I have been itching to get my hands on it ever since. The story sounds like something I would really and joy and indeed it was. 

Jackaby, although the title of the book, is not the narrative character of this story. It is narrated by one Abigail Rook and her take on his story is brilliant. At first I thought I was reading a story as it happened but as soon as you get to Chapter Thirteen and the ending you realise that what your reading is actually an account of what happened - which is an excellent take on the POV from characters. 

While this story doesn't start of quick it doesn't get boring or drag at all. It flows with a perfect elegance throughout the story and its plot twists come in with enough shock and grace that it's like a perfectly fitting puzzle. 

I've always been interested in detective stories, since I was a child and started watching Bones, CSI and Criminal Minds it had captivated my attention and this one is no exception. It doesn't jump right in with the deaths either, there is a bit of character building beforehand so you aren't confused at any stage of the book. 

The ending of this book was a shock to me and I definitely didn't expect all the supernatural twists but William Ritter certainly knows how to make a debut novel work.

Again, I have made this review quite short and spoiler proof, if you would like a more in-depth one let me know in the comments and I shall see what I can whip up for you all!

Also let me know if you have read this book, your thoughts and any books I should read next!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Made By pipdig